Thursday, January 14, 2010

He did what?!?!

Breaking News: Mark McGwire used steroids and HGH during the 90's including his record breaking ’98 year where he hit 70 home runs. In other news, he also admitted to using toothpaste, toilet paper, and wearing shoes over the same time frame. Seriously, tell us something we don’t know. Look, we all get it, there’s an entire “era” in baseball where if you weren't using, you weren't trying, which in all honesty most likely continues today. Thing is, as fans do we really give a shit? I for one can remember racing home during the summer of ’98 to see if either Sosa or McGwire hit any bombs that night. I still probably have a VHS tape of McGwire's 62nd bomb at my mom's house, unless I taped Cinamax late night over it.

My question now is, what exactly is the downfall to steroid use? Obviously there isn’t a juice-up superstar out there, aside from maybe Jose Canseco, who will admit that steroids actually helped their career and their lives. I wish just once, one of these former superstar steroid users would come out and tell it like it is. “Yea, I used steroids during the 80’s and 90’s and ya know what? I got fucking paid, laid, and hit a shit load of home runs, which is probably the best feeling in the world, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything, including bigger testicles” Seriously, McGwire admitted to using starting in the early 90’s, twenty or so years ago, and he appears healthy, is back in baseball and probably still counts his gold coins like Scrooge McDuck on a nightly basis. Even if he keels over in the next ten years, I'd still take his life over say, RG$'s.

The only people in this scenario that I do feel bad for are for the players who chose not to stick needles in their ass and did it the legal way. Guys like Fred McGriff, who ended his career with 493 home runs, only 7 away from the elusive 500 that basically guarantees you a trip to Cooperstown. But honestly, what does 500 home runs in a career mean anymore? McGwire, Sosa, Palmerio? All to linked to PED's and douchebaggieness.

No comments:

Post a Comment