Sunday, November 22, 2009

Poking, Tweeting, and Doing Hard Time


It boggles my mind that the internets and social networking have come to this.  People getting busted for Facebook posts, and others getting arrested for NOT tweeting?  These four recent stories wouldn't have seemed possible even 5 years ago, but the world continues to spiral out of control:

1) A woman loses her health benefits because she claimed to be suffering from depression, but posted pics of herself smiling at the beach on her Facebook.  If she wasn't depressed, she surely is now.  Nice of her to cooperate with the media, and leak her own story.  That sounds like something a depressed person would do, right?  Regardless, in her defense I will say this: there was this one time I was in a really bad mood, but someone I was hanging out with happened to have a camera.  They requested a picture.  Just before they took the picture, they said "Okay, smile!", and I obliged.  I was still in a bad mood, but if you look at the photographic evidence from that day, I look happy.  Hopefully you get where I'm going with that stupid story.  Apparently her insurance company didn't take into account that most people smile for pictures, even when they're not happy.  And apparently she didn't take into account that she is a moron.

2) New, annoying, teen sensation, Justin Bieber plans an album signing at a Long Island mall.  A riot ensues.  Completely unrelated, Justin Bieber needs a haircut.  For safety reasons the signing is cancelled.  Cops ask one of Bieber's handlers to send out a tweet announcing cancellation.  Handler refuses, and gets arrested.  Busted for NOT tweeting.  Is that really a crime?  Is Twitter really their jurisdiction?  I'm picturing a day when I get a knock on my door, and the police are standing there, guns drawn, threatening to shoot if I don't change my MySpace profile picture.  And lastly, Justin Bieber needs a haircut.

3) This one's a classic.  Dude gets arrested for robbery.  But wait ... dude's Facebook got updated with status "Where's my pancakes?", right at the time of the robbery.  So no way dude coulda done it.  If you're home looking for your pancakes, you are not robbing places.  It's just one of the great truths of this world.  Hold on though, is there a way that this guy possibly left himself logged in, and someone else updated his status?  Nah.

4) A little older, but the story of the woman who was arrested for poking someone on Facebook is a real gem.  In a literal sense, there are some times when "poking" should be considered illegal.  But Facebook poking?  I'm not so sure.  In this case the woman was braking a restraining order, so yeah, it was a stupid thing for her to do.  But seriously, c'mon!  The other party here should've had this woman blocked, right?  What idiot files for a restraining order against someone but then leaves them unblocked on Facebook?  Someone who deserves to get poked, that's who.

Hopefully you learned something from these stories.  I learned that nothing surprises me anymore with the craziness that exists on the internets.  It's a dangerous place.  Stay safe out there friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment