Thursday, November 26, 2009

Something Stinks in the Swamp

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What am I grateful for this year? Great family and friends, three NFL games on TV today, and a four-day weekend. What am I not thankful for? The fact that two of the NFL games will feature either the Lions or Raiders (really?) and the weekend-long media love affair with Tim Tebow, who will be playing his final game at "The Swamp" on Saturday. This isn't so much a "I hate Tim Tebow" piece; it's more of a "I think Tim Tebow is totally overrated" piece.

Let's start by comparing two players:

Player A's career stats - 8,335 total yards, 81 TDs, 65.7% completions

Player B's career stats - 12,000 total yards, 96 TDs, 66.9% completions

Both players are 22 year old seniors, six-foot three and weigh 240 lbs. Without knowing the names, you'd have to concede that Player B is slightly better than Player A. So who are these players? Player A is one Tim Tebow. Player B? Dan LeFevour.

So who is Dan LeFevour? You probably haven't heard of him because he plays for the Central Michigan Chippewas. While there is something to be said for a guy who leads his team to SEC and National Titles, I still can't fathom why he won a Heisman Trophy. For the record, LeFevour's Chippewas have won two MAC Championships during his tenure, and are playing for a third this season. And while comparing a national title to a MAC title is a little like comparing Kim Kardashian to Khloe Kardashian, they are still Kardashians. And let's not forget that these "national titles" are nothing more than fantasy games because they aren't even created by a playoff. I'm more impressed by Tebow's conference championships which, like I mentioned before, he has the exact same amount of as Dan "The Man" LeFevour - two.

Ok, so you want to argue that LeFevour's conference and competition is inferior to Tebow's? Fair enough. The SEC is the best college football conference in America. But I would argue that LeFevour has built his stats with inferior talent surrounding him, a much more impressive feat to me. He's never gotten to throw to a Percy Harvin or run behind future NFL offensive lineman. LeFevour's number one receiver last year is now working as a janitor for the school (ok, I made that up). But you get the point.

I'm not saying Tim Tebow doesn't deserve some credit for Florida's success and I'm not saying he isn't a good player. All I'm trying to say is that when talking about the best players in college football, remember the name: Dan LeFevour. That is all.

2 comments:

  1. I knew right away that Player B was LeFevour. I have been watching him for the past 3 seasons in hopes that he would continue his success. Yes it is true that he plays in a conference with minimal NFL potential, but his teamates, as you so gently put it, "are school janitors" after they graduate. With that being said, the talent that he is surronded with during a game is equal, as is the talent in an average SEC game, including Tebow.

    I have been watching him in hopes that Russ Brandon contacts me and ask who the Buffalo Bills should select with the 3rd or 4th pick in the 2010 NFL draft. I would strongly encourage him to stay away from Tim Teblow, Colt McSuck, Jimmy Fakessen, or some over priced offensive lineman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd hear more outta you guys after Tebow's big cry. Not into kicking a man while he's down? I salute your dignity, however I don't appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete