Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What Sucks About Christmas

Today's post was inspired from a dear friend of mine who reminded me today what a wonderful time of year it is. Unfortunately, it also made me think of all the things that suck about Christmas. Believe me, I'm not your usual holiday-hater. I actually like Christmas songs. Decorating the tree is a joy. I don't find the Salvation Army bell ringer annoying. And baking cookies (or watching my fiance bake cookies) increases both my weight and happiness. But make no mistake, there are some things that occur this time of year that are about as enjoyable as Kathy Bates sitting on my face.

People who bring holiday treats into the office: I literally just polished off a whole cannoli as I wrote that. Why? Because some idiot decided it would be a nice 'gesture' to bring it in. Well here's a gesture right back at you. You're not doing anybody any favors by bringing this stuff in. Same story every year - the office fatty paces back and forth by these snacks, sweating and drooling over it, waiting for someone to make the first move. The females in the office pick and peck at it like little birds to the point that you aren't really sure if they're brownies or a hot steamer the janitor left behind (pissed from cleaning up all the crumbs each night). The worst is when someone brings in some awful candy or half a fruitcake left over from a party you weren't invited to. Good lord, at least have the decency to bring a whole, untouched item and not left over scraps your dog wouldn't even eat.

Not having Christmas or New Year's Day off: And Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, to boot. In full disclosure, I actually do have off on Christmas and New Year's Day, but it won't stop me from fighting the good fight for all the folks who do not. Let's face it, between all the food, booze, parties, and presents going on this time of year, work efficiency isn't anywhere near peak. Folks are trying to see family and friends, pick up or drop off last minute gifts, and get to church for one of their two visits each year - we don't need work interfering with all of this. Have you ever stopped by a store on Christmas Day? I almost pulled an Angelina Jolie and adopted the kid working the register at CVS last year. It's so depressing. Let's just make it a rule that everything in America (besides hospitals and strip clubs) are closed on December 24th and 25th, as well as Dec. 31st and Jan. 1st. While we're at it, let's throw in the day after the Super Bowl and the first two days of March Madness. Done and Done.



'Christmas Vacation' on TBS: Initial reaction when you see Christmas Vacation come on your TV set - "Yes! I love this movie!! I can't believe Chevy Chase used to be funny!!!" Secondary reaction once you realize it's being shown on TBS - "Weak, no curse words. This is gonna suck." Can we just make a pact with the FCC that when classic movies like this are shown on cable TV, they'll be aired un-edited? I feel like kids are missing out on important lessons about family, like this one:

Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's
walking out on this
fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all
in this together. This is
a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here.
We're gonna press on, and we're
gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas
since Bing Crosby tap-danced with
Danny fucking Kaye. And when Santa
squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney
tonight, he's gonna find the
jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the
nuthouse.


Not being able to say Merry Christmas anymore: I know what you're going to say. "Diddy, I thought the Offensive Coordination blog wasn't supposed to be PC?" Well, we're not. But we're also realist. If a Jewish person came up to me and wished me a Happy Hanukkah, I honestly don't know how I would even respond. So I get it. But the real shit of it all is that it's left me so confused on what is appropriate to say, I actually wished someone a "Happy New Year" last Friday. It was December 11th.

People who complain about Christmas: Oh, wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment